Only about 40% of rapes are ever reported to the police
According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) out of every 1000 rapes, 994 perpetrators walk free.
Only 310 out of every 1000 sexual assaults are reported to the police – that means 2 out of 3 go unreported.
Of the sexual violence crimes not reported to the police from 2005-2010, the victim gave the following reasons for not reporting:
• 20% feared retaliation
• 13% believed the police would not do anything to help
• 13% believed it was a personal matter
• 8% reported to a different official
• 8% believed it wasn’t important enough to report
• 7% didn’t want to get the perpetrator in trouble
• 2% believed the police couldn’t do anything to help
• 30% didn’t give a reason